Magento is one of the most powerful and feature-rich eCommerce platforms on the market. It handles over $155 billion in transactions every year. Since its very begging in 2007, top-notch Magento Developers are in high demand. Now, when the Magento 1.x. version is no longer supported, developers with Magento 2 skills became key players for companies that migrate their web stores on Magento 2.
Should I learn Magento 2 development?
Depends on you, but we recommend to learn :)
As of 2020, there are more than 250,000 active eCommerce sites powered by Magento. It’s used just for 12% of all online retail stores. But Magento is trusted by some of the biggest enterprises on the planet (Coca Cola, Ford, HP Inc., Nike, Helly Hansen, Landrover, Nestle Nespresso, Jack Daniel’s, Jaguar and NCG, Ahmad Tea, Canon, Seat, Chrysler, Monin). Among the top 10K web stores, Magento has a share of 16%. 202 Magento users are on the internet Retailer Top 1000 list.
Magento 2 learning - an excellent investment with high ROI.
Does Magento Certification really matter?
Magento certification doesn’t matter if you just want to develop a web store for your grandma for selling knitted socks. And actually, for such case, Shopify or even Woocommerce will work much better. But for freelancers seeking for big projects or developers aiming to get a job in a focused on Magento development agency or enterprise that runs its web store on Magento - Magento Certificate is a golden ticket.
Why do companies check Magento Certification?
Magento is commonly used by big enterprises and middle-sized businesses. For such companies risks that unqualified developer can screw up your projects are too high and can cost like a fortune. Magento is quite complicated. It has numerous pitfalls that become obvious only after years of practice. And to pass the certification exam successfully, you need that experience. That’s why Magento Certification acts as a quality guarantee for companies.
From our experience, to pass any exam, you need to have a background of actual use of Magento 2, as most of the 60 questions are practical.
Why is certification so crucial for Magento 2?
There are 315,000 developers in Magento’s global community, and 6,000+ are Magento Certified Developers. Magento 2.x significantly differs from Magento 1.x, and Magento 1 Certification doesn’t mean that its owner will develop on Magento 2.x as well.
How has Magento changed its certification program in 2020?
In 2020, Magento has rolled out an updated certification program with new badges (check all Magento Certification Integration FAQ).
- The exams are the same - they look the same and are scored the same way.
- Adobe tests are now 2 hours in length. Previously they were 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Magento 2 certification exams’ costs still the same and range from $195 to $260
- Previously you had to pass the exam through Kryterion, and since August 17, 2020, Magento exams are delivered through PSI and Examity.
- Now Adobe Certifications are valid just for two years.
How have Magento Certification badges changed?
AD0-E700 Adobe Certified Expert Magento Commerce Business Practitioner (previously - Magento 2 Certified Solution Specialist)
- Audience: Business Analysts, Account Managers, Project Managers, QA Engineers, User Experience Designers, Web Designers, eCommerce Consultants and Strategists
- Requirements: Solid product knowledge of Magento 2 Open Source and Magento 2 Commerce, business usage scenarios and eCommerce trends. Basic understanding of networking, cloud, server infrastructure, laws concerning privacy and online trading worldwide.
- Price: $295 USD
AD0-E702 Adobe Certified Professional—Magento Commerce Developer (previously Magento 2 Certified Associate Developer)
- Audience: Magento developers who have learned the Magento framework at the basic level and have less than 2 years of experience
- Requirements: Basic knowledge of Magento 2 Open Source and Magento 2 Commerce, experience with PHP, MySQL, Apache/Nginx, and Linux.
- Price: $195 USD Those who pass this exam will earn the Adobe Certified Professional—Magento Commerce Developer credential.
AD0-E701 Adobe Certified Expert-Magento Commerce Front-End Developer (previously Magento 2 Certified Professional Front End Developer)
- Audience: Magento 2 Front End Developers
- Requirements: Deep understanding of Magento 2 fundamentals and with 1.5 years or more of experience with Magento 2
- Price: $295 USD
AD0-E703 Adobe Certified Expert - Magento Commerce Developer (previously Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer)
- Audience: skilled Magento 2 Backend Developers
- Requirements: Solid knowledge of Magento 2 and with 1.5 years or more of experience with Magento 2
- Price: $295 USD
- Price: $295 USD
Pay attention to UI Components.
AD0-E706 Adobe Certified Expert-Magento Commerce Cloud Developer (previously Magento 2 Certified Professional Cloud Developer)
- Audience: Magento 2 developers/architects who build solutions on Magento Commerce Cloud
- Requirements: 6 - 12 months of experience developing for Magento Commerce Cloud.
- Price: $295 USD
AD0-E707 Adobe Certified Expert Magento Commerce Order Management Developer (previously Magento 2 Certified Order Management Developer)
- Audience: Magento 2 developers who work with Magento Order Management
- Requirements: 6 - 12 months of hands-on experience with Magento development and Magento Order Management and/or completion of 1 to 2 Order Management projects.
- Price: $295 USD
AD0-E704 Adobe Certified Master Magento Commerce Architect (previously Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer Plus)
- Audience: Senior Magento 2 developers/architects
- Requirements: 2 - 3 years of experience in customizing different areas of Magento Commerce, leading team(s) of Magento developers, leading projects, making key technical decisions on a Magento project, and working with customers to build project requirements
- Price: $395 USD
It’s the most difficult and challenging test in the Magento Certification Program.
How to prepare for the Magento Certification Exam?
The best way to get ready for the test:
- learn the theory,
- develop 3-5 Magento 2 modules or themes,
- work on live Magento 2 projects.
Learning by doing will be more fruitful if you are following the exam guide for the selected certification. That will help you to understand what you should focus on and where to pay more attention.
Magento Courses on Adobe Digital Learning Platform
There are 35 different paid Magento trainings on the Adobe Digital Learning Platform. From Magento 2 Development Essentials to Advanced Selling and Marketing in Magento 2.
Magento 2.4 Developer Documentation
Don’t forget about Magento Developer Documentation and Programming Best Practices. They are not important as much, they are just vital :)
Magento Development Guides and Courses (provided by developers from the Magento Community)
For those looking for alternatives to official courses, there are several options.
- Magemastery - Video lessons and Courses for Magento 2 developers
- Certification Resources by SwiftOtter - Practice Tests, Study Guide, Courses
- Magento-related training by Yireo
- M.academy - Screencast lessons & courses for Magento 2
We also have our own Magento 2 Boot Camp course (temporarily suspended as it is based on offline training sessions).
Other sources of Magento wisdom:
- Mage2.tv - Magento 2 Developer Screencasts by Vinai Kopp
- MageTalk: A Magento Community Podcast - Community Podcast by Kalen Jordan and Phillip Jackson.
- Magento 2 - Alan Storm Magento 2 blog/tutorial
- FireBear Studio Blog
- Magestore Magento 2 tutorial
- Magento Forum - Community Forum by Magento
- Magento Developer Blog - Developer Blog by Magento
- Max Pronko DevChannel and Max Pronko Blog
- Magento Commerce by eCommerce-Aholic - YouTube channel
Where to find new Magento Certification Badges?
Since August 2020, Magento customers, partners, and developers gained the ability to manage certifications, register to take Magento exams, and download digital badges through the Adobe Credential Manager.
Here is a detailed guide on How to Publish Digital Badges. After logging to Adobe Credential Manager you can publish and share digital versions of your Magento certificates.
Example of how your Adobe Certified Expert-Magento Commerce Developer badge page can look like.
Adobe Certified Expert-Magento Commerce Developer
Adobe Certification Badges. Find the difference and guess which one belongs to Magento Commerce Developer :)
How to check if Magento developer is Certified?
Previously on Magento U there was an option to search for Magento Certificates by Name or Company. Now the one way to check if the developer is certified - ask the direct link on his/her badge on youracclaim.com.