Magento is the eCommerce software and platform trusted by the world's leading brands. Grow your online business with Magento (362 545 live websites). Ubercart is an exciting open source eCommerce shopping cart that fully integrates your online store with Drupal, the leading open source content management system (34 716 live websites).
|Business Size||Large Enterprises | Medium Business||Small Business|
|Installation & Ease of Use||Easy for developers and tech-savvy merchants. It takes about 10 minutes to install a base version of Magento or a few hours to run a whole store.||It’s simple to implement and maintain|
|Community & Customer support||Magento developers community is one of the biggest developers community in the world. It's easy to find answers for any questions. Magento supports multiple languages and currencies. Despite Magento official support received only for expensive Enterprise Edition stores, you will not be left alone if you choose free Community Edition. A lot of enthusiastic web developers can help you to solve any issue. Magento Community has 130.000 members.||Forum|
|Customization capabilities||Requires extensive customization to meet specific business goals as the great variety of Magento features makes it more complex.||Fully customizable.|
|Design||There are 1500+ free/paid and fully customizable Magento themes. Magento CE, 1.9 and later versions handle responsiveness “automatically”.||There are some Drupal themes compatible with Ubercart. But for system with numerous customizations it’s better to build theme from scratch.|
|Flexibility||Magento is a perfect choice for product editing and capable of handling heavy-loaded databases gracefully.||Fully flexible|
|Extensions||More than 15.000 Magento plugins and extensions.|
|One step checkout||Can be implemented with numerous available modules.||Single page checkout. All checkout information gathered on a single screen composed of configurable checkout panes. Third party modules can define checkout panes to replace or add to the default set, making it easy to customize the checkout experience.|
|Search Engine Optimization (SEO)||Magento SEO solution set is a lot more powerful than ones offered by other popular eCommerce platforms. Its SEO friendly URLs guarantees traffic increase.|
|Popular Customers||Christian Louboutin, Vizio, Rosetta Stone, Easton, Nike, Olympus, Gant, Ford Accessories, Sisley Paris, Eastwood, TractorTool, Webprint, Mothercare, Burger King||X-BIONIC|
- It has simplified content management - Each product is set as a content node and the variations are fixed as product nodes. It works great for stores that are selling a particular product in two or three different sizes with few color choices.
- It comes packaged with a payment module and shipping options - Users have the choice to use it as a whole package or select particular modules.
- It’s a self-explanatory product - We think Ubercart is very simple to use and easy to set-up.
- Great for smaller stores - If you’re just getting into eCommerce, Ubercart is a great start.
- The default configuration settings are ready to go - Only minor changes might need to be made in the currency, time and other local features.
- Customer account creation is included and is created based on their email ids.
- Customizable order processing page - The page can be customized according to the eCommerce business model.
- Activity logging - A wonderful feature that helps in finding an order’s status at any point during the purchase process.
- XML import/export - This helps in transferring product information from your old Ubercart store to the new one.
If you’re planning to have a small boutique-like eCommerce store, then Ubercart is the right option. It’s simple to implement and maintain. Setting up the product database is easy and each product appears in a catalogue based page. Customers can easily browse through and buy products which are passed through the inbuilt shopping cart and payment gateway. However, since each SKU is not specified separately, there might be errors due to wrong weight calculation, leading to incorrect shipping value. This might cause of concern if the product weight of each size varies greatly. Similarly, if you have plans of expanding your shop, then Ubercart is unreliable as the design and templates cannot be uber customized.
Improved Layered navigation can be implemented as a custom solution. It hard to estimate cost of such implementation.
Magento 2.1 CE (built-in)
If you expect your eCommecre platform to be packed with a variety of built-in promotional options - Magento is your choice. It offers even more - shipping extension, wish lists, multi-tier pricing, promo pricing with restrictions, related products, upsells and cross sells modules. If you have a fast growing business, you should stick to Magento the same ways as many global brands running Magento stores. This decision is completely rational as Magento provides scalability, allows to save high performance with higher traffic and larger supply. Magento handles up to 4M page requests and 50K orders PER HOUR. It easily operates with up to 500 000 SKU.
- Modular code base for making fine-grain customizations and easily adding or removing functionality to meet merchant needs
- Theming and layout framework to quickly create and maintain site variations for seasonal campaigns, new product lines, and market expansions
- Extensive and efficient APIs, including new ones for promotions and taxes, to connect and operate at scale with any third party solution
- Multisite, multi currency, multi language (on single platform)
- Completely different sites and stores on single platform
- Server-side improvements, such as integrating Apache Varnish caching, enable faster performance out-of-the-box with minimal tuning
- Full-Page Cache
- Standalone databases for key subsystems like order management, product management and checkout; combined with support for MySQL Cluster, enable Magento to scale to handle rapid growth
- Comprehensive backend improvements enable larger teams to make product updates and process orders at the same time without diminished performance.
- The modern Magento Admin user interface is intuitive and easy for new team members to learn, and allows users to efficiently monitor business performance and manage daily tasks.
- The ability to effortlessly customize and save different Admin panel views saves time when managing products, analyzing customer data, and processing orders.
- Setting up products is faster with a new step-by-step product creation tool and improved product data import capabilities that are 4x faster than before.
- 3 Checkout steps
- Order without register
- Automatically recognize existing users
- Shoppers can conveniently create an account with one click from the order Thank You page, enabling merchants to encourage customer registrations without interrupting the checkout process.
- Related products, cross-sells and upsells
Improved Layered navigation can be implemented with one of 21 extensions available on Magento Marketplace (price range $0 - $599)